Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
trebor

POLL - Non English Tv Preference - Softcoded or Hardcoded Machine Translated Subtitles

trebor

Hi everyone, just wondering if people have a preference when it come to machine translated subtitles - whether to softcode or hardcode them, looking for as many opinions as possible please.

• Like 2

irish

Soft subbed. in case i found better ones. Thanks for asking.

• Like 3

JazzyJeff

Preferably soft - it leaves options for the appearance of the subtitles

• Like 3

Bouvier

Always soft, gives more freedom to the user just in case new subtitles appear

• Like 2

h00kup

Yeah, what they ^^^^^ said.   No brainer...soft.  I would think given the choice, everyone would take their font choice, and their size choice, and their color choice.

• Like 2

trebor

thx for the replies, its good to hear feedback

• Like 1

diplomatic

sorry, didn't even see this: soft by far.  It saves a huge amount re-downloading if I've gotten a version that has machine translated once better ones come along, I can correct some myself, and a lot of times errors and even screen placement aren't what I'd do, and this is easily fixed.  In the case where there's no choice (e.g. a lot of the stuff from Mhz fixes the subtitles way too high on the screen, to the point it interferes with action) that's one thing, but if its flexible that's always better.  It's trivial to turn them into hardcoded subs in the event that's what anybody wanted too...

• Like 2

whiskers

Yeah, what they ^^^^^ said.   No brainer...soft.  I would think given the choice, everyone would take their font choice, and their size choice, and their color choice.

sorry, didn't even see this: soft by far.  It saves a huge amount re-downloading if I've gotten a version that has machine translated once better ones come along, I can correct some myself, and a lot of times errors and even screen placement aren't what I'd do, and this is easily fixed.  In the case where there's no choice (e.g. a lot of the stuff from Mhz fixes the subtitles way too high on the screen, to the point it interferes with action) that's one thing, but if its flexible that's always better.  It's trivial to turn them into hardcoded subs in the event that's what anybody wanted too...

Fascinating ! I had no idea one could change fonts, size of and screen placement of softcoded subtitles. How does one do this ? I use vlc

• Like 1

nightwatch

Soft subbed, some auto machine subtitles are quite awful,when new subtitles are made available its easy to add to file.

• Like 1

diplomatic

Fascinating ! I had no idea one could change fonts, size of and screen placement of softcoded subtitles. How does one do this ? I use vlc

I use MPC where it's all under play->subtitles->options, but for vlc:

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Adjust_subtitle_font_settings/

https://www.vlchelp.com/how-to-change-subtitle-position-in-vlc/

• Like 1

trebor

thx for all the feedback, as you all have probaly seen from my posts that I have now started posting separate srt files for the last few months, i always appreciate any constructive feedback.

• Like 2

h00kup

thx for all the feedback, as you all have probaly seen from my posts that I have now started posting separate srt files for the last few months, i always appreciate any constructive feedback.

Much appreciated.

• Like 2

prewar41

soft.

prewar41

Soft, if possible, new subtitles appear all the time. I'm also going to guess that for some of us, English is not always the first language we'd want subtitles in.

• Like 1