Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Jump to content
CMDM828

DMCA Infringement email from Spectrum

CMDM828

Hello Friends. In over 10 years of downloading a torrent, I heard of these emails across the internet. Now, I got one. I went to Spectrum with the reference number to see details and of all things it was Disney who contacted Spectrum about me downloading the last episode of family guy. I do have PIA VPN and its always on, except on sites that I shop on that don't allow it, which is annoying. Well, I have been PS5 hunting when I get stock alerts and I thing I just forgot to turn it on. Thats all I can think that happened. So...why am I here? As a diagnosed OCD and anxiety stressed person, its obvious. It did rattle me and the wife. The ONLY thing I'm confused about is that on the Torrent Client itself I do have the Socks5 proxy setup from PIA. Password is there....but how would I even know that isn't working? Any help,kind words, etc....would be appreciated. Thanks All.

• Like 2

frukit

never got one of those. but you can avoid it by using http://main.dailyflix.one/?t=rsstv

• Like 4

Traceydeadhead
10 hours ago, CMDM828 said:

Hello Friends. In over 10 years of downloading a torrent, I heard of these emails across the internet. Now, I got one. I went to Spectrum with the reference number to see details and of all things it was Disney who contacted Spectrum about me downloading the last episode of family guy. I do have PIA VPN and its always on, except on sites that I shop on that don't allow it, which is annoying. Well, I have been PS5 hunting when I get stock alerts and I thing I just forgot to turn it on. Thats all I can think that happened. So...why am I here? As a diagnosed OCD and anxiety stressed person, its obvious. It did rattle me and the wife. The ONLY thing I'm confused about is that on the Torrent Client itself I do have the Socks5 proxy setup from PIA. Password is there....but how would I even know that isn't working? Any help,kind words, etc....would be appreciated. Thanks All.

Don`t stress over it i have had quite a few but nothing ever happens. Just make sure your proxy is on at all times of downloading. Or you could just get what you want from here and not have to worry about a thing  :)

• Like 3

CMDM828

Thank You for that reply. I am definitely gonna be smarter. I activated my VPN Killswitch that I didn't use before as well. Figure that is smart. Thank You again.

• Like 2

whiskers
11 hours ago, Traceydeadhead said:

Don`t stress over it i have had quite a few but nothing ever happens. Just make sure your proxy is on at all times of downloading. Or you could just get what you want from here and not have to worry about a thing  :)

Spectrum is in America.

The consequences of ignoring the letter could be vastly different in the US compared to the UK.

• Like 2

whiskers
Posted (edited)

:skullbones:

Edited by whiskers
  • Like 1

justLiz

i think the problem is spreading not personal use . with torrents they want to stop a spread . long time ago ( about 10 or so years) i had my isp block me whenever i used a torrent client so then i didn't . either way the great majority were things i wanted to watch myself.

since then i have never posted a link of mine and never had any problems .

like Frukit said, i'd use the link he provided, it's a wonderful thing . and i'd avoid trusting any proxies fully .

• Like 2

Traceydeadhead
22 hours ago, whiskers said:

Spectrum is in America.

The consequences of ignoring the letter could be vastly different in the US compared to the UK.

I don`t mean with Spectrum i mean with my own provider Virgin Media..had at least 5 DMCA emails so i just now always remember to use my proxy and have had zero problems.  :)

• Like 3

rotor

This is from my personal experience and Im sure as hell not a lawyer. I used to work at an ISP and these letters are autogenerated and likely have never been seen by human eyes. The ISP has to send them out upon request, but I cant ever imagine a corporate lawyer being paid to come after an end user. Ever. Its bad for the ISP and its bad PR for the movie company.

No guarantees though, and five is getting up there. But the letters are made to scare, thats all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Traceydeadhead
3 minutes ago, rotor said:

This is from my personal experience and Im sure as hell not a lawyer. I used to work at an ISP and these letters are autogenerated and likely have never been seen by human eyes. The ISP has to send them out upon request, but I cant ever imagine a corporate lawyer being paid to come after an end user. Ever. Its bad for the ISP and its bad PR for the movie company.

No guarantees though, and five is getting up there. But the letters are made to scare, thats all. 

They were over about a 3 year period too.

And i agree about the auto generated letters.

• Like 1

rotor

Nobodies coming after Tracey, shes so sweet butter wouldnt melt in her mouth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Traceydeadhead
11 hours ago, rotor said:

Nobodies coming after Tracey, shes so sweet butter wouldnt melt in her mouth.

hmmmm i don`t know whether to laugh or thank you  :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bukcherry

Friend of mine got one of these for DL a movie in NY , again I think it was a Disney movie but I can't recall which one , scared him enough so that he doesn't do it anymore , he signed up for Amazon Prime instead, still the word gets around and it works . I'm sure they won't come after you if you are very careful and VPN. 

Whenever I'm in the UK it's mandatory to VPN as it seems all the torrent sites are blocked , where I am in Europe they don't seem to care , TPB is blocked at the ISP level and that's it all the others are open. 

• Like 4

dexter65

The cease and desist?  I had them in Canada before I got the VPN.  The owner just contacts your service provider (Bell in my case ) who passes on the message.  Nothing comes of it as Bell cannot give them your personal details but best to always use a VPN.  

• Like 3

Bukcherry
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dexter65 said:

The cease and desist?  I had them in Canada before I got the VPN.  The owner just contacts your service provider (Bell in my case ) who passes on the message.  Nothing comes of it as Bell cannot give them your personal details but best to always use a VPN.  

I wonder how the owners then know who is DL what ? 

There are only a number of options , either the gov are working with the owners to spy on traffic , the ISPs are divulging illegal activity or the torrent sites are , the last option is that the owners control torrent sites that look like regular sites . I have heard the last option as a strong possibility . 

Edited by Bukcherry
  • Like 1

dexter65

Yes.  IDK how they know but within a day Universal or Fox or whoever contacts your service provider who then forwards their message to you.  And they know the title and time it was downloaded. 

• Like 1

Bukcherry
14 hours ago, dexter65 said:

Yes.  IDK how they know but within a day Universal or Fox or whoever contacts your service provider who then forwards their message to you.  And they know the title and time it was downloaded. 

They plant fake torrents , you DL them and they can trace you doing it . 

• Like 1

Baku
On 3/27/2021 at 2:00 PM, whiskers said:

Spectrum is in America.

I think it was an email. Where I come from, emails have no legal substance. Even regular letters can get lost in the trashcan somehow*coughcough :). It´s registered letters you have to worry about.