Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Jump to content
Ne12

Guide to Subtitles

Ne12

Adding subtitles: Using SRT files with Video files.

1: Make sure both the .AVI and .SRT are in the same folder.

2: Make sure they both have the same name. For example:

Subtitle_video.avi

Subtitle_video.srt

Video using VLC:

• Like 7

DeathDealer

In addition to the great information above, it helps to know which subtitle file to select.  Why?  Because the subtitles might not be in sync with the video.  This is controlled by the frame rate.  The standard frame rates are 23 & 25.  Here is an example.

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/sublanguageid-eng/imdbid-4283028

Column four is uploaded (the date it was uploaded with the frame rate below).  Sometimes there isn't anything listed in this column.  I stay away from those unless there are no others to try.  

3AbzUGR.png

To find the frame rate of a video on a windows computer, go to the video properties details tab.  Right-click the video, select properties at the bottom of the context menu, then select the details tab.

Keep in mind that avi & mp4 files will show frame rate in the details tab.  Flash & MKV files will not.  Programs exist to locate that info.  However, with only two types (23.976 or 25) it isn't hard to find the right one.  Just download one & if it doesn't work, try the other.  Another thing to narrow down the search is to know the release group name, H264, HEVC, 720, 1080 or anything else that may aid identification which can be searched for at any of the subtitle sites etc.

Now that the frame rate is known, select the correct one from the list (23.976 or 25) at the opensubtitles link.  Notice the icon that looks like an ear with a hearing aid.  This type of file is specifically for the hearing impaired & will say so when hovered upon.  These are a little better in that regard because they include sound descriptions, not just dialog.  

J5xJoCa.png

Choose the correct release group from the list.  In this instance it is not known, so try the most generic 23 from the list.  The x264-KILLERS looks good.  Preferrably we'd want one that said XviD, but this one will work for what this guide is trying to illustrate.  I've tried different scene groups & done alright.  If 720 or 1080 were involved, we'd be looking at that too.  I always go the generic route first & if it doesn't work I go back to the list & find a 720 or 1080.  This is why I might avoid these types of videos, because it's easier to work with 264 or XviD for subtitle purposes.

xoJl7ER.png

The above image shows the download screen after clicking the KILLERS srt.  Be sure to uncheck the box that says "Use OpenSubtitles Download Manager."  It will require an .exe file which is not required.  The list of links below the download button are to pay videos, ignore them.  At the bottom of the list is additional information about the subtitles.  Click the download button.

CsTLOtA.png

The above image is what the actual download looks like.  The screen will appear.  Wait for the download box to appear then click save file & OK.  If this were a hearing impaired file like mentioned earlier, the title would say HI at the end.

Scan & unzip the .srt file.

yP1hpaf.png

I use VLC to watch my videos. Be sure subtitles are enabled in the preferences, or they won't show up. 

Open file, add video file, check the subtitle box to select the .srt file, click play.  To be sure that all is well, I will fast forward past the opening credits to the first point of dialog.  If it's synced, I'll check again at midpoint & near the end to be sure the entire show is good.  If so, happy viewing.  If not, then go back to the list & try another one making sure to select the correct frame rate (23 in this instance).  If I run out of files to try, it's at this point I might try one that doesn't have the frame rate listed.  I might even try a 720 or 1080 just for giggles.  If all else fails try a different frame rate than the one for the video.  This has worked for me.  Just remember, this is the exception & not the rule.  However, most of the time I don't have to try this method.

If I strike out at opensubtitles.org I'll go to subscene.com.  They aren't as good because they don't list the frame rates which forces random selection.

Lastly, on the occasion when I can't find a subtitle that syncs, I will adjust it in VLC.  Here is the link where they describe how to do it.
https://wiki.videolan.org/Adjust_Subtitle_Delay/

The "Advanced Syncronisation" method listed at the bottom is the best.  However, it requires some practice to get a feel for it.  After a few tries, it gets easier to do.

• Like 2

Chigirl

Fantastic guides.  Thanks so much. I did try adjusting the subs in VLC ones but I was pants at it. I'll give it another go next time I can't get anyt hat are in sync.

Edited by Chigirl

prewar41

As many of you already know, but some may not: in order to get .srt files to display as subtitles, the .srt file must have exactly the same name as the video  file. Ex.: ABCDE.S01e01.avi, =ABCDE.s01e01.srt.

You may have to do some copy and paste to get filenames to match up.

• Like 1