Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button? Go to our FAQ page for more info. Jump to content
jackson

Rate the last movie you watched

Bukcherry
12 hours ago, mallory said:

The Favourite (2018) -- 7/10 -- Intriguing character studies, but the story is marred by the historically unsubstantiated lesbianism.  The movie arc would have been the same without it, so it just served as titillation.

Green Book (2018) -- 9/10 -- A charming buddy-road-trip / fish-out-of-water film that transcends both because of the subject matter.  Although it has come under controversy because Dr. Shirley's family was never consulted and Dr. Shirley's purported estrangement from his family was not accurate.  Regardless of that, the filmmakers did not shy from the bigotry and injustices he faced, so the primary message remained.

The lengths that America will go now to try to repair racism is getting embarrassing , a few years ago the academy was accused of not enough black nominess and now it's bending over backwards to prove the opposite , Moonlight which was not that good and now this second rate road movie , it's fluff and really has no gravity , most of the movie is predicatble , and what else Spike Lees movie , just the same thing repeated ad nauseum . People vote for it because they feel they have to and it probably makes them feel like they're mobilizing  to help in an America which seems more racist than it has in a while . 

Is Green Book really that good or does it just feel wrong to admit it's not that great ? 

The part I found most interesting was when the Dr sneers at Viggo's character for questioning why he doesn't know more about black music such as Sam Cooke and Litte Richard , Viggo explains he should as these are the Dr's "people" . This for me creates a contradiction , to fight for black power and rights is by it's very nature lumping everyone black together towards a common end , the Dr seems to somehow believe wrongly that the way to get things done is to rise above everything with dignity and never use violence, violence is a by product of oppression and it's not planned just look at the LA riots and tell me seriously that you counteract Rodney King with dignity ? The movie is ridiculous and not planted in reality . 

Hollywood seems to be dealing with the racism accusations thrown at it in the same clumsy way , it's looking at the color and not the quality . It's just reverse racism . 

Edited by Bukcherry

neighborhoodie

giphy.gif

...Green Book was just progressive enough, on a superficial level, for voters to feel like they were making a statement about racial equality, while they were actually endorsing a [white savior] story whose moral is that if only black people were exceptional enough, even the most diehard white racist would eventually come around. - slate.com

justLiz

Non Stop (2014). great action movie i think, keeps you interested throughout the whole film .

• Like 1

whiskers
On 2/26/2019 at 8:12 AM, Bukcherry said:

The lengths that America will go now to try to repair racism is getting embarrassing , a few years ago the academy was accused of not enough black nominess and now it's bending over backwards to prove the opposite , Moonlight which was not that good and now this second rate road movie , it's fluff and really has no gravity , most of the movie is predicatble , and what else Spike Lees movie , just the same thing repeated ad nauseum . People vote for it because they feel they have to and it probably makes them feel like they're mobilizing  to help in an America which seems more racist than it has in a while . 

Is Green Book really that good or does it just feel wrong to admit it's not that great ? 

The part I found most interesting was when the Dr sneers at Viggo's character for questioning why he doesn't know more about black music such as Sam Cooke and Litte Richard , Viggo explains he should as these are the Dr's "people" . This for me creates a contradiction , to fight for black power and rights is by it's very nature lumping everyone black together towards a common end , the Dr seems to somehow believe wrongly that the way to get things done is to rise above everything with dignity and never use violence, violence is a by product of oppression and it's not planned just look at the LA riots and tell me seriously that you counteract Rodney King with dignity ? The movie is ridiculous and not planted in reality . 

Hollywood seems to be dealing with the racism accusations thrown at it in the same clumsy way , it's looking at the color and not the quality . It's just reverse racism . 

On 2/26/2019 at 9:00 AM, neighborhoodie said:

giphy.gif

Its a good movie.... based on a true story.... fuck the racism hollywood politics

neighborhoodie
2 hours ago, whiskers said:

Its a good movie.... based on a true story.... fuck the racism hollywood politics

Of course it was, any reconciliation fantasy film romanticizing reality is always (feel) good, racial or otherwise;  eg. much like Forrest Gump and Life Is Beautiful were Academy Award worthy as well.

Bukcherry
Posted (edited)

There is much trickery that happens in Hollywood beyond the obvious , once great movies are now boiled down into TV shows and filled with reminders of the movies they are supposed to be a represenation of . The same thing is happening in this film , it's posing as a film of importance by fooling it's viewers it has a strong moral message and the most glaring ugliness is the racial imbalance is only redressed when you have a genius black character and a moron white character then and only then can they come together , it's daft and pretty sinister . It's fails in every way ,it's trying to be American History X but misses the main point , equality means equality . American History does make the points that hate and violence get you nowhere (even though I believe life requires it) but doesn't elevate the black character in order to do it , it just subtly delivers messages of regret and introspection instead of just clumsily trying to reverse the habits of the stereotypical black guy on to the white guy and vice versa . 

Edited by Bukcherry

whiskers

To be  " like " the  so called moran white character in the movie I will humbly say both of you are reading way too much into it..... you can I guess and are most likely right.... I mean I think Hollywood is a cesspool of pedophilia, war industry manipulation, any gender and age sexual abuse , corruption yadda yadda on and on.....

but for entertainment value I enjoyed it..... I didn't really reflect on 2 the whole racism, smart black guy dumb white guy toy guys imply... who gives a fuck..... it's a story of 2 friends

• Haha 1

Bukcherry
11 hours ago, whiskers said:

To be  " like " the  so called moran white character in the movie I will humbly say both of you are reading way too much into it..... you can I guess and are most likely right.... I mean I think Hollywood is a cesspool of pedophilia, war industry manipulation, any gender and age sexual abuse , corruption yadda yadda on and on.....

but for entertainment value I enjoyed it..... I didn't really reflect on 2 the whole racism, smart black guy dumb white guy toy guys imply... who gives a fuck..... it's a story of 2 friends

If it hadn't been for te outcry over black nominees 2 years ago this movie might be more tolerable , it's almost custom built for the purpose of appeasing the complainers all sugar coated in some meaningkess gloss . I mean it was so predicatble also which was even more dull , from the not stealing the stone to the littering , these are sterotypical offensive black traits transposed to the white character in a really clumsy way . It's all so obvious and a nice movie in itself but not worthy of Best Picture , just no way . 

If you like it then you're a Nazi . :)

• Haha 1

whiskers

I'm a nazi lol

• Like 1

Bukcherry
16 hours ago, whiskers said:

I'm a nazi lol

You got that right . :)

• Haha 1